Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Big News

OK, in my last post I promised some big news. There's more to the story, but I won't keep you waiting for the headline:


I am not going to move; I am staying in Houston! I got a new job (in the organization that I work for currently). It is a Houston-based role, as opposed to my current role, which is flexible.


Now, the back story:
At the beginning of the year I declared my intention for 2012: 2012 is the year I find a home. For the past year or so, I've been vacillating between the idea of moving back to the Northwest or staying in Texas. They both have some serious pros and a few cons, which I chronicled here. However, the Northwest has very few opportunities in my field, which I would loosely label as "ed reform." Because I don't have any advanced degrees (besides my teacher certification) in the ed field, I'm not considered qualified in the Northwest to do the kinds of work that I do in Texas (instructional coaching and teacher training). That's one way to keep ed reform out of your state - make sure that most of the reformers, who weren't educated through traditional ed schools, can't get jobs.


Anyway, I wasn't really looking for a new role, but a position was created that is right up my alley and so I jumped on it. In the past, I've let jobs go by because I wasn't "looking" for anything new, and then I felt annoyed with myself. 


I'm feeling giddy at the prospect of my new job, which will start this summer (and which is also a promotion!). And, the moving decision has been made for me.


I still don't know if I'll stay in Houston forever. As a child, my family moved around a lot. For many kids, that scenario results in them simply wanting to settle down. But for me, it's always given me the sense that you can live anywhere you want, whenever you want. For now, though, I'm staying put for at least a few more years and that is A-OK with me. 


Now, I want to start looking for another home. I've been driving around lots of neighborhoods, trying to get a feel for places outside of my usual sphere - because my usual sphere is rapidly gentrifying and getting very expensive. 


I'm also going to start thinking and planning how I can remain connected to my hometown in the Northwest, since my new job involves less travel. I'll be a much happier person if I can visit regularly. I always go up for Christmas, so maybe I can figure out another time of year when I can schedule a regular visit.

No comments: