Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Gala Girl

Last night I got invited to a real live Texas charitable event. A friend who works in development had an extra ticket to a gala dinner and so I tagged along -- it wasn't quite GCB, but it definitely was a full-on Texas philanthropical hootenanny.


The invite was for "evening attire, business formal, or cocktail." 
Eek!


Having no real idea what that meant (I mean, that could be ballgowns to suits, right?), I googled the event to find out more and came to a site called "Blacktie Houston", a clearinghouse for photos and info on all of Houston's fancy events. Luckily, there were photos from last year and people seemed to be going more in the direction of business suits and church dresses. Houstonians tend to be a little more casual than their Dallas counterparts.


I can't really pull together a look that will convince anyone I'm a native Texan, so I went full rockabilly (at least -- the Texas society version of that).  I also pulled out a lot of my Light Green beauty techniques:


 Hair:


I'd washed my hair earlier in the day and it was still a little damp -- perfect for my "Product-Free Party Hair". It's my default for any updo-appropriate occasions.


I used my Sonic Bloom to bejewel my 'do.
 Makeup:
I'm a big fan of Revlon's ColorStay Liquid Lipstick, because - as the name implies -- it stays on for a long time. It also has fewer bad chemicals than a lot of lipsticks. Revlon was also one of the first major cosmetics companies to swear off animal testing. 


I used some eye make-up that I've had for a long time. I realize that you're not supposed to do that, but at least I'm not wasting it! It was actually a pretty good smoky eye, although you can't really tell in this pic.


Daily I use a mineral foundation from L'Oreal. I just looked it up on the Good Guide and it seems as if their most recent formula isn't as good for me as the old formula, although it still gets a green light when it comes to the environment. 


Completed Look:I wore a dress that I never wear, because I bought it for work and it turned out to have a major slit ... just perfect for businessy cocktail and showing off my Fluevogs and Pisces tattoo.



:

No comments: