Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

24 Days to Christmas: Day 12


Day 12: Tree - real or fake?

Growing up in the great Northwest the idea of a fake Christmas tree seemed like a morally-bankrupt proposition, a choice of lifeless plastic over fresh-cut pine boughs. I'd never seen a fake Christmas tree except in stores, and I'd heard Charlie Brown espouse the spirit of a little, real tree. 

Moving to Texas, however, I realized that Christmas trees aren't just waiting outside every city's limits to be cut and taken home.

Last year, I wrote at length about the relative environmental advantages and disadvantages of various kinds of trees. Currently, I have an artificial tree that I picked up at Goodwill. Suffice it to say, it's a little Charlie Brown-ish. There was a much fluffier, full-branched tree in the store that day that I could have taken home - but I didn't. Some of the sections don't have lights that work (I turn those to the back). But I love the tree, and I'm glad that it was able to find a home.





Want to follow the countdown on Pinterest?

No comments: