Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Kid Activists = The Next Generation Goes Green

I love this video!

As I've written about before, my love of the Vampire Diaries led me to discover the Ian Somerhalder Foundation, which enlists kids in environmental activism. I love that Ian uses his heartthrob status for good, and I love these kids who are speaking out against the Keystone XL Pipeline. (Click here to read in-depth about this project, which is meant to bring oil from Canadian tar sands to the Gulf)

A lot of people (read: politicians) in Houston - where I live - are pro-pipeline, since it is proposed that it run all the way to our fair city, which will theoretically result in jobs at some point in the future. However, tar sands oil weighs heavily on the environment. Some folks argue that the pipeline will reduce our dependence on foreign oil... because what? Canada's a state or something? Really, I think we're just saying that it reduces dependence on oil from Muslim countries. Would you like a little racism with your environmental destruction?

If thinking about the pipeline makes you feel gross inside, then watch these kids:
(and yes, a teen wrote the song in the background)


Check out the National Resource Defense Council for more information on how you can add your voice to those speaking up against the pipeline.

No comments: