Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Kids Know What's What

One time, I was in the grocery store and I overheard this little dialogue:

Girl (about 3, wearing a tutu and pointing at Fruit Snacks with Disney Princesses on the packaging): Can I have that? Princesses!
Dad (British-accented): You see, they put the princesses on the box to make you want to buy it. There's not really any princesses. It's called advertising.
Girl: I want the advertising!

Kudos to dad for beginning to teach his daughter, at an early age, to be media literate. (Kudos also for letting her go to the store in a tutu).

I was reminded of that scene when I watched this TED Talk* by a cool 11-year-old who's learned to buck the system.** No "sparkly" cereal for him!


* TED is a non-profit devoted to "Ideas Worth Spreading." They hold events where people give amazing talks about ... all kinds of things. If you ever need inspiration, ideas, or a kick in the pants, visit the TED site for videos of these short speeches.

** And yes, I found this video through the Ian Somerhalder Foundation website. Just proving once again, that if you want to learn about the environment, watch The Vampire Diaries.

No comments: