Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Eco-Chic ... or Geek?

No matter how important it is to produce less waste and use less energy, I still sometimes feel a bit like an outsider from "normal" society when I'm holding up the line at Starbucks to bust out my re-usable mug (which, let's face it, I forget as often as I remember. But I am trying). Being eco is chic if you're in Hollywood and can afford a Prius, but you can end up getting shot with eye daggers by the person waiting behind you at Safeway as you unroll all of your Envirosax.


Despite this fact, I've found a few great re-usables that I wanted to share with you. I think they're more chic than geek, and if they're not, well - who cares? The geek shall inherit the earth, right? Isn't that how the saying goes?


My friend Jenny gave out these fabulous portable flatware sets by To-Go Ware at her wedding:




The utensils are made of bamboo, which is renewable. I love that the set includes chopsticks, because eating grocery-store sushi with a fork is just no fun. And, even better, the set comes in this handy carrying case:


It includes a mini-carabiner so you can clip it to your backpack and make all the cool kids jealous.

Plus, it is such an awesome idea to give these out at a wedding, upending the tradition of giving the bride and groom flatware.

I have been trying to get into the re-usable mug habit when I go to Starbucks, although I admit, I find it difficult to remember the mug all the time -- I never know when the urge for caffeine will strike. To motivate myself, I got this personalizable mug, made by Aladdin.

Their website includes templates to which you can add your own photos, so you can change your mug with the seasons. It has a no-spill top, which is handy for klutzy types like me. And they have a few sizes, so you have a choice of whether you like your drinks tall or grande.

Now ... I just have to remember to take my re-usables home, so my desk doesn't start to look like my friend Edlyn's ...

Time to take those home and wash them!

No comments: