Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sustainable Seafood: Smoked Salmon Pizzettes

Friday night I wanted a little end-of-week treat, but I've been eating healthy and sustainable food since the new year, so I didn't want to break my stride.

I decided to make a lightened-up version of a smoked salmon pizza that I've had at restaurants and at a few friends' homes. This mini-pizza is elegant and yet healthy and easy to prepare -- it would make a wonderful Valentine's dinner for you and an ecologically-minded sweetie, or you could slice it up for appetizers for your Quirkyalone Day party.

When I've had this type of pizza before, it usually has a cream cheese topping. To lighten it up, I mixed 1/3-less-fat cream cheese with skyr. Skyr is a very soft cheese that can be eaten like yogurt; the most common brand is called Siggi's. If you can't find skyr, you could just use cream cheese or Greek yogurt.

One last note: to ensure that you're using sustainable salmon, look for Alaskan, rather than Atlantic salmon. I like to use my Seafood Watch app when I'm shopping to make sure I'm making a sustainable choice.

Ingredients:
1 piece of naan or lavash for each pizzette (you could also use a grilled flour tortilla, a mini pre-cooked pizza shell like Boboli, a pita, or any kind of cracker bread -- this also makes an awesome snack when the ingredients are piled on a rye crisp)
Smoked salmon, crumbled into smaller pieces, with a little extra for your cat
Tomato
Capers

For the cream cheese topping, mix the following:
1/4 c. 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (or neufchatel)
1/4 c. skyr
1 heaping tablespoon chopped dill
1 heaping tablespoon chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste

To assemble pizzas:
Heat your naan or other bread product according to package instructions. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese topping on the bread, then heap the salmon, tomato, and capers in amounts to your liking.

Couldn't be easier, and it's so delicious!

No comments: