Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Shampoo Chronicles: Success?

I can hardly believe it, but it seems possible that my quest for a natural shampoo may be at an end.  For several years, I've been trying a variety of shampoos to find one that doesn't have a lot of health or environmental hazards, and doesn't make my hair look like Raylan Givens' in Season 4 of Justified:

AVClub called Raylan's hair the "Best Worst Haircut" of 2013's television
season so far. No girl wants hair like that ... or Natalie Zea's in this picture,
for that matter.


I've tried a huge variety of natural shampoos, walked around stores with my phone in hand, looking up products on the Good Guide or Skin Deep while trying to figure out what I should try next. Most purchases ended up being one time only, proving to quickly become ineffective. Some were so bad that I couldn't even make it through a whole bottle before moving on, wasting money and packaging.

Thanks to the friendly employees in the Whole Foods beauty section, I think I've found a keeper: Acure Organics.
The woman at Whole Foods recommended the "Lemongrass + Argan Stem Cell Shampoo" which is the line's clarifying shampoo for every day. I use Neutrogena's Anti-Residue Shampoo twice a week as well.

This regimen has proved to be great for my hair - it doesn't get too oily, and I'm even able to go more than one day without washing my hair, something I've never been able to do before.

The only problem is that I don't really like the smell of the shampoo, but it's more of a personal thing - I'm just not a huge fan of lemongrass. I'm going to try the "Pure Mint + Echinacea Stem Cell" next.


The Acure company uses certified organic, plant-based ingredients and a portion of profits goes to fight breast cancer. The prices are extremely reasonable as well ($9.99 for the shampoo). 

All in all, it's a deal that feels too good to be true. I'm just waiting to find out that the shampoo is actually made of unicorn tears or something. Until then, I think I have finally found my shampoo.

No comments: