Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Going to Bulgaria

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the movies with a couple of friends, and when we sat down I distributed some bags of trail mix and chocolate pretzels to everyone. (Yes, I realize this makes me seem like a soccer mom.)

My friends went on and on about how delicious it was.

"It's from the bulk area," I said.

My friend misheard.

"It's from Bulgaria?"

So now, I think of the bulk area as "Bulgaria."

Bulgaria is my favorite part of the grocery store. Stores with small Bulgarias? They just upset me. As processed foods have come to prominence, it seems like most stories have given up their bulk sections, or cut them down to just a few bins of peanuts. But a good bulk section can cut your costs and your waste.

In fact, it can even cut your waste to a couple of handfuls a year, as this California family shows:



What I want to know is, where did they get bulk wine?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I love going to Bulgaria, in that case. And here I thought I had never been!

Also, I don't know about bulk wine, but I've seen wine inna box. That's pretty close!

Catfish said...

@ifbyyes ... there's some pretty good box wine these days, too!