Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Product Review: Paper That's Better Than Paper

You know that amazing feeling you get when you find something that so perfectly does what it's meant to do, and you're just amazed and excited by the miracle of human ingenuity? That's how I feel about paper clips and binder clips. They are meant to hold paper together. And they do. They hold paper together. They do it better than anything else (Sorry, staples! Go find something else to do, glue!) Aside from that, they are as aesthetically pleasing as you could ever hope for.

Well. If you love such things, have I got a find for you:


Stone paper.

I'll pause for a moment, while you exclaim "What the hell --!"

I was first introduced to stone paper by a new co-worker, Emilie. I couldn't believe it. Paper made from stone ... it didn't seem a) possible, or; b) practical.

Nevertheless, I had to have some, and I found my notebook at Walgreen's for about 2.99. There are those greenies who are able to go paperless, and I admire them. But I love paper almost more than paper clips. Notebooks, printer paper, newspapers, magazines. I love them all. My thoughts seem to flow better when I write by hand in a notebook.

I've done a little research, and it seems that stone paper is actually more environmentally-friendly than regular paper. I can't say I have every single fact, but here's what I've read (and if it's on the interwebs, it must be true):

  • Stone paper doesn't use trees - obviously - and is made from calcium carbonate (limestone) which is one of the most abundant substances on earth, and can be made from limestone that's a by-product from other processes. And yes, it does take energy to produce stone, but regular paper also contains stone. Limestone is used to make paper smooth (who knew?), so regular paper uses trees, stone, lots of water, bleach, and other fun chemicals, while stone paper is limestone and resin.
  • Stone paper, theoretically, can be recycled over and over again, though I don't know that there's any place that recycles stone. Regular paper can't be recycled infinitely. After awhile, the good stuff breaks down and it's no longer usable.
  • Stone paper is so awesome, it's like the Homecoming Queen vs. Band Geek. Eric the Vampire vs. Vampire Bill. Jon Stewart vs. Rush Limbaugh. Stone paper will be elected student body president, get a full-ride to Dartmouth, and get a job that pays six-figures right out of college. Why? First of all, stone paper does what it is meant to do. It takes ink or pencil like a champ. Its smooth, creamy surface is delightful to write on. Your pencil might have an orgasm, stone paper is so amazing.
  • Stone paper does more than it is meant to do. It is really strong:

I was able to stretch this piece of stone paper. It only rips on a certain axis. See? Awesome.

I accidently put my shopping list through the wash, and rather than breaking down and creating little feathers all over my clothes, the stone paper was still readable, write-onable, and perfectly usable. It does rip, but in a nice clean line. And it's pretty.

Anyone else experienced the joy of stone paper? Know some eco-facts that I don't? Let me know.

5 comments:

greenlabelman said...

Hello Catfish. Boy you really trashed that stone paper notebook! The paper is called FiberStone®. FiberStone® is a tree-free, water-free, waterproof paper made from natural stone- calcium carbonate, limestone... I'd be happy to answer any questions you or your readers might have about FiberStone® or they can go to http://www.GetFiberStone.com or http://www.naturalsourceprinting.com to learn more about FiberStone®. I'm happy to see you really put FiberStone® paper to the test! It's really more like a synthetic paper than a regular paper. FiberStone® rock paper is recyclable and comes from recycled materials.

greenlabelman said...

Hello Catfish. Boy you really trashed that stone paper notebook! The paper is called FiberStone®. FiberStone® is a tree-free, water-free, waterproof paper made from natural stone- calcium carbonate, limestone... I'd be happy to answer any questions you or your readers might have about FiberStone® or they can go to http://www.GetFiberStone.com or http://www.naturalsourceprinting.com to learn more about FiberStone®. I'm happy to see you really put FiberStone® paper to the test! It's really more like a synthetic paper than a regular paper. FiberStone® rock paper is recyclable and comes from recycled materials.

Melanie said...

What the hell?

Anonymous said...

FYI...
I have tried FiberStone and I love it. It has worked very well for me on flyers and brochures.

Thia said...

I love this paper. It's a recent find. Just discovered it this year. Can only find in small notebook form and not very many pages...but it is my favorite. Ideally, I would love to find this in a full size 5 subject college lined notebook and refill packs for 3 ring binders. It is truly magnificent.