Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Re-Purpose: Baking Soda + A fish taco recipe

The Many Uses of ...
Baking Soda


Use #2: Air Freshening
Everyone knows baking soda absorbs odors. For years Arm & Hammer has been advertising the odor-busting powers of baking soda - "naturally."
Remember this ad from 1980?




I didn't really buy it. I couldn't imagine how placing an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator could make any difference in stinkiness.
Until last night.
There are all kinds of constantly-improving products meant to freshen the air you breathe. I'm migraine-prone, however (such a nerdy ailment, I know) and so I'm not a big fan of commercial products. Their perfumes trigger headaches. Plus, after the air freshener-ingestion incident I'm not down with air freshening products.

But, last night, I had an air freshening emergency!

I made fish tacos -- the world's best fish tacos -- and then went to visit my friends Sarah, Trae, and my adopted nephew Eli. Upon returning home, the house reeked of "eau d' poisson." In other words, it stank of fish.

I wracked my brain to think where I might have some kind of air freshening product hidden. To no avail. That was when I remembered the amazing powers of baking soda and thought I would give it a try.

I placed a bowl of baking soda in the fridge and one on the stove, the two places where the fish stank seemed to have centered. In the morning, I woke up, sniffed, and ...

... all was relatively fresh.

By the time I got home from work, the house smelled normal, and I was sold. Baking soda absorbs odors "naturally", as the commercial says. It's pretty amazing that a bowl of white powder can just sit there and magically take away smells (if you're more interested in the coolness of baking soda, a.k.a. sodium bicarbonate, check out the Wikipedia article. Ancient Egypt... who knew?).

Air fresheners are expensive, and baking soda is cheap. Air fresheners are poison, and baking soda is a part of bread. It seems pretty clear to me ... baking soda is the answer to all life's little stinkies.

Now ... A fish taco recipe

The cause of all the stinkiness was the fish tacos. But don't hold it against them. They were delicious, and usually smell just fine. Here's the recipe, for all my pescetarian friends (and those who just wish they were in Baja).

This is how you make them:

You want tilapia, cod, or other mild white fish. It can be fresh or frozen. Prepare according to package directions or common sense. I like to use frozen fillets (1 per person, from Costco) cooked with a generous sprinkling of some sort of fish rub. Salt, pepper, thyme, and a squeeze of lemon would also work.

While the fish is cooking, finely chop some tomatoes (one 1/2 per person), avocado (1/4 per person), and lettuce (as much as you desire).

With a fork, stir together 1 tablespoon olive oil, a 1/4 tsp. garlic salt, and a squeeze from 1/2 a lemon (that's per person, once again) and drizzle the goodies all over the veggies. Toss.

When the fish is ready, flake it with a fork. Transfer the flaky fish to the veggies and toss everything together. Then, spoon the mixture into a warm tortilla. Corn, or flour, whatever is your pleasure.

Now, enjoy, secure in the knowledge that you can de-stinkify your home with just a little baking soda.

No comments: